Monday, January 14, 2013

new things

What better way to ring in the new year than with a mochi pounding ceremony? The tradition of mochi pounding is not common these days,  as even in Japan the majority of mochi is made by machine. The Asian Art Museum and Kagami Kai were so wonderful to bring this tradition to us, even letting us help pound the mochi! And yes, we got to eat the results, best mochi ever!

We started off with calligraphy and it was quite a process. There was yelling, straining, intense movements, shrieking and pure silence. My dad tells me this is how we transfer our souls onto the canvas:
calligraphy
the tools
mochi making
the work

how i love mochi:

from squidoo

Later this weekend, I took my new slackline to the park and was stoked to find several lines up at once.  Had a great time meeting people, practicing walking on the line, and seeing so many dogs!

me falling. but isn't the lighting so nice?

a l o h a

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States