Thursday, July 04, 2013

on habits

At the beginning of each new month, I try to pick up a new good habit. This act of mine being based on the old adage that it takes 21 days for something to become habitual (a myth nonetheless), but based on my experiences it depends on the habit. :)

 Certain habits I can do like machine work; abs before shower! drinking cold pressed juice! daily yoga practice! But my attempt to paint every day is fizzling with my feelings of frustration, and fear of making more garbage. Although my beloved Ira Glass says creativity needs time, I wonder; am I helping or hurting my creative process by this attempt to make it habitual? Should I just wait for inspiration to strike?

painting by artist Tina Koyama. (love the brush strokes)
Perhaps one day i'll have the courage to post my own...